Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Golden Week Update and beyond....And a few other things as well.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words and I agree with that statement and here's why:


(Photo courtesy of the Chicago Tribune)

FINALLY, after all these years of being ridiculed for being a hockey fan and supporting what WAS perhaps the worst team in all of sports, The Chicago Blackhawks advanced to the second round of this year's Stanley Cup playoffs and will face the Vancouver Canucks in the next round. Now I know that Vancouver turned it on in the second half of the season and the Hawks utterly sucked against them, but let's forget about that for now and just be thankful that we are advancing for the first time since 1996. Nikolai Khabibulin a.k.a. "The Bulin Wall" (the goaltender in the picture)was freaking amazing as were the rest of the Hawks players in this series against the Calgary Flames and showed that they could battle back and are indeed hungry. So once again, congratulations to The Chicago Blackhawks and know that this Blackhawks fan is cheering for you guys on the other side of the Pacific Ocean:



NOW, with that little rant out of the way, let's get back to the topic at hand shall we?

I thought I’d write this little message to let everyone know what to expect on the blog over the next week or so. And for those of you who don’t know what Golden Week is, you can learn more about it here.

Usually, I end up going somewhere but this year since my teams are in the area this year, I’m not really going out so to speak. Here’s a tentative list of where I’ll be going. Some games are “set in stone” while others really aren’t.

Wednesday April 29th (Showa Day) Saitama Seibu vs. Softbank (Seibu Dome)

Saturday May 2nd Shonan SeaRex vs. Tokyo Yakult (2-gun Odawara Kyujyo)

Sunday May 3rd Saitama Seibu vs. Rakuten (2-gun Seibu Kyujyo #2 or 西武第二)

Now for the following games from May 4rd to May 6th, I’m not really set on where I’m going. But, it’s going to be a toss-up between the Saitama Seibu series against Rakuten at Seibu Dome and the 2-gun games between Shonan and Yomiuri at Giants Kyujyo. I’m going to at least one of the Shonan/Yomiuri games at Giants Kyujyo and maybe 2 at Seibu Dome. It also all depends on whether or not I get randomly selected for Lions fan club events during Golden Week as well.

And also, I did some research and found out that it was logistically possible to make a quick trip to Shikoku in the near future so I'll be heading down there to see 2 games between the Tokyo Yakult Swallows and the Hiroshima Toyo Carp at Bochan Stadium in Matsuyama. I'm really looking forward to this as I've never been to Shikoku before and of course, I get to go see baseball games at out of the way baseball stadiums that no one really cares about YEAH!!! The games are on the 9th and 10th of May and are a night game and a day game respectively.

So I guess I am going somewhere for Golden Week albeit a week later.


1 comment:

  1. Hawks took one back home in OT. It'll still be very tough for the young experienced (but very talented) team to come back from being down 1-2 in the series against the Detroit juggernaut. This is probably a learning year for the Hawks in the playoffs, just like the Isles had against the Habs, Oilers against Long Island, and Pittsburgh in recent years.

    ReplyDelete